Feeling Blue?

Let's Talk About Mental Health!
A while back, I spoke to my head teacher about the fact that mental health is something that is worryingly overlooked by the educational system and he actually suggested that I myself led an assembly. While I may not be confident enough to talk in front of the school about mental health, I can talk about it here. It's something nobody really speaks about, whether that's down to a lack of understanding, a lack of awareness or just being uncomfortable with the subject. Now I don't claim to be an expert in any sense of the word, but it's something I've experienced, something that has affected my family greatly, and something I care very deeply about and so, without going too deep, I thought I'd share some of the ways I cope in the hopes that this might possibly help someone somewhere.
My Experience
It's not uncommon for mental disorders to come hand in hand; I was diagnosed last summer with Depression, Anxiety and BDD (Body Dysmorphia Disorder) and at the time, it was terrifying to have all these labels thrown at me. Honestly, there's not much worse than going to the Doctors for one problem and coming home with three. The doctors suggested CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) and then if that didn't work, they'd prescribe pills for me to take daily. I managed one appointment for therapy before deciding I hated with a burning passion, and that I'd rather tough it out alone. I realised that there are many people who benefit greatly from therapy, or are in a position where going it alone would put them at risk, but for me I feel like this decision wasn't unwise. I'm someone who could talk 'til the cows came home, but put me in a chair and ask me about my feelings and suddenly I'm a mute. Ironically, I'd get anxious about therapy, go figure. 

With Depression, there are days where getting out of bed is a struggle, Now I know that getting out of bed in the morning is a pain for everyone, but with depression (for me), someone saying 'good morning' the wrong way can give you a headache. Now, there's no magic cure for days like these, it's not like you can make yourself a cup of tea and suddenly feel better because illnesses simply don't work like that. However, taking care of yourself on days like these is vitally important and there are certain things you can do to make yourself feel at least a tiny bit more comfortable.
  
Look After Yourself. 
I know this sounds really really basic, but on the days when you care the least about basic things like moving and eating, it's still really important that you do so. I've seen a post floating round on tumblr that gives the following advice, and so I thought I'd pass it on; If you're having a really bad day, change the sheets on your bed. This simple act will make you feel like you've accomplished something and you can get back into bed with fresh sheets and be more comfortable. 

Tiny things like this can help distract you for a small amount of time and the sense of achievement can quell that awful nagging feeling that you should be doing something. Other things I do is making a cup of tea in my favourite mug, putting music on and trying to eat relatively healthily, because although all I want to do is wallow, at least I won't have that added guilt of having eaten something awful. Sometimes I'll run a bath and use all my favourite products, sometimes I'll go on a walk. I think the key is doing something that is completely for you. The action of it will help, and the result is a bonus too. One thing I've started learning to avoid on really bad days is sad music, because for me it's never beneficial and always ends up making me feel worse. Have a safe playlist you can put on; it doesn't have to be full of obnoxiously happy music, just songs that you know aren't going to potentially make you feel worse (so turn Bon Iver off for now).


Most importantly, talk to someone. Please, please let someone know how you're feeling if you're worried you're going to endanger yourself, whether it's a doctor or just a friend. There are multiple websites which I will link at the bottom of the page that are designed for you to talk anonymously to people who are trained to help you, so if you don't feel like you can trust anyone around you, please contact one of these people. Let your friends or family know, because they love you and they'll want what's best for you. If you live in a situation where you don't feel like your family would help you, then there are so many people who would be willing to help; teachers, counsellors at school, nurses, friends, colleagues etc. If you have access to the internet, then you have access to someone who cares about you, trust me.

Again, I'm not an expert and this post isn't the most eloquent piece of writing ever, but it's something I feel very strongly about and I'd had the idea to post about this for a while. I hope you're all well. See you soon x 

Links:


Numbers you can call (UK):
Childline: 0800 1111Samaritans: 08457 909090Abuse Not: 0808 8005015Brook Young People’s Information Service: 0800 0185023Eating Disorder Support: 01494 793223Anxiety UK: 0844 477 5774Depression Alliance: 0845 123 23 20


Popular Posts