The Soundtrack of my Life

Not unlike every other human being, I believe music to be one of the most integral parts of my life. So much so that I'm pretty sure my neighbours are thinking of selling their house. I always have music playing, and I realised the other day while looking at my spotify profile that my taste is pretty eclectic, with my top four recently listened artists being One Direction, The Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac and Little Mix. So I thought, why not compile a list of some of the songs that mean something to me. Here is a slight peek at the soundtrack of my life...

Last Song I Listened To

  • Moonlight Mile - The Rolling Stones: Musically this is brilliant. Lyrically, it's beautiful. The Rolling Stones might well be my all time favourite band, and this is one of their most moving songs. It reminds me of so many people all at once and for that I love it. 


A Song That Makes Me Happy
  • You Can Call Me Al - Paul SimonMe and my dad often have evenings where he'll show me the good, the bad, and the ugly music he used to listen to back in the day. This was one of the songs that he recommended to me, amongst a few questionable others, and I fell in love by the end of the introduction. This began my love affair with Paul Simon, and I don't see it ending any time soon. 
A Song to Drive to
  • Sweet Disposition - The Temper Trap: If this song isn't on your driving playlist then you're not living. One of my most memorable moments is sitting in the passenger seat of a friends car, driving along the motorway as the sun set, with this song playing. It was such a Moment that as soon as it ended we played it again. Life slows down for this song, I swear. (Fun fact; Harry Styles got these lyrics tattooed on his arm, only to find out that he'd misheard them. Brilliant.) 
A Song I Wish I Had Written
  • Secret Door - Arctic Monkeys: Nobody talks about this song. Why does nobody talk about this song? It's genius. The opening bars sound like Turner wrote them for the Submarine soundtrack, and then the beat kicks in and you remember this is Humbug, their darkest, sexiest album. Humbug achieves what A.M. attempts. Man, I miss the Monkeys in their prime. 
A Song That Brings Back Memories
  • Superstition - Stevie Wonder: In high school, I was part of a production of Miss Saigon, and before each performace we'd have 'funk hour' to get our energy up, and we'd listen to this song and dance embarrassingly to it. The week after the shows ended, when we were all on our comedown, we turned on the local radio and the host announced this song, dedicating it to us. Now every time I hear this song I can just picture how happy we all were for the entire week to all be involved in something together. If I get the dates correctly, tomorrow is a year since the last performance too. 
A Song That Makes Me Sad (In a Good Way)
  • Asleep - The Smiths: Bit of a shocker this one, considering it's such a cheery song, sung by such a cheery guy, on the cheeriest album ever released. I'm not sure if this song even makes me sad or just downright miserable. Still good though. 
Songs on my Party Playlist
  • (I've Had) The Time of my Life - Bill Medley: I wish there were fewer nights where I'd made less-than-sober attempts at the Dirty Dancing lift, but how can you not give it a go when this song is blasting? Needless to say, it's never been a success. 
A Song I Sing in the Shower
All-Time Favourite Song
  • 1998 - Peace: Hearing this song live was an experience I'll never forget; it builds so much, and you're surrounded by people who are all feeling the same excitement as you for a hundred different reasons and it's beautiful. My only complaint is that I wish it lasted for 20 minutes instead of 10. And THAT DROP.
Current Favourite Song
  • Wolves - One DirectionTheir whole new album is brilliant in a billion different ways, but if I had to pick one song that lifts my entire mood, it's this. I don't know what 1D's team have against them, but this should have been a single instead of Perfect. Each to their own, I guess. 
Favourite Cover
  • Since I've Been Loving You-Peace: Not a fan of Led Zeppelin as people, so being able to listen to this cover is handy, plus the cover is really, really good, in my humble opinion. 
Favourite Album
  • Humbug - Arctic Monkeys: I sometimes have entire days dedicated to just appreciating this album for the beauty that it is. If you've never listened to this album, or it's b-sides, then you haven't truly heard Arctic Monkeys. Favourite Song: Secret Door, Pretty Visitors
Favourite Movie Soundtracks
  • Stand By Me: This movie was my favourite movie for a very long time, and I'm not really sure why my parents let me watch it as a kid but I'm glad they did because it is brilliant, and so is the soundtrack. Jerry Lee Lewis? Buddy Holly? The Del-Vikings? Give me more. Favourite Song: Great Balls of Fire - Jerry Lee Lewis
  • Cheaper by the Dozen 2: I was obsessed with this movie in primary school, and I didn't realise how good the soundtrack was until I re-watched it the other day. Favourite Song: Why Can't We Be Friends - War, Holiday - Madonna
  • Parent Trap: The Lindsay Lohan version (sorry) has a crackin' soundtrack, if I'm being honest. I don't even have anything to say about this. Favourite Song: There She Goes - The La's, This Will Be (An Everlasting Love) - Natalie Cole
And that's about it. I've actually been writing this post for about a week, for two reasons. One; it's really hard to chose your all time favourite song. Two: One Direction's album only just came out and I had to pretend I haven't been listening to the leaked version for the past fortnight. Lemme know if there are any songs on here you love/hate, and have a nice weekend! Much love.









Popular Posts