"What's your blog about?" "Uh..."

If you pay even a fraction of attention to this blog, you're probably aware of how awful I am at posting regularly. You're probably also slightly aware of the fact that I have absolutely no idea what I am doing in regards to blogging. I don't know what this blog is, who my target audience is, what the theme is etc etc. So I'm gonna kill two birds with one stone right now; write a blog post about what this blog is. Gold star, Abi.

When I first started this blog (back when it was abigailchiara.blog.com or whatever it used to be) I wanted it to be a fashion/beauty blog. Truthfully, in retrospect, I think that was more to do with the fact that all the blogs I read seemed to go down that route, rather than stemming from an actual desire to write about make-up. Every time I watched a YouTube video or browsed bloglovin' everyone was talking about the last thing they bought or how they did their make-up in the morning and I felt like that;s what bloggers did. So, to conclude, I was pretty much trying to be a poor man's Zoella.

However, as is true for anything you're passionate about in life, if you try to copy someone else's approach, you're never going to be satisfied with the outcome, because you're going to constantly be comparing. This is especially true when it comes to starting out something new, because you are comparing your first baby steps to someone's half marathon. It's never going to end well. So quickly, for me, I found myself trying SO hard to be perfect in a niche I wasn't even truly comfortable with. I did the occasional opinionated post, which was definitely more down my street, but as soon as I posted one of those, every  other post felt slightly...irrelevant. And so, the more I inadvertently did what I actually wanted to do, the less I ended up wanting to do what I had set out to do.

What I'm saying is I was trying really hard to be what I thought I had to be, to the point where I was missing out on doing what I wanted. There was a reason I was unmotivated to write about lipstick and that's because, in all honesty, I really don't care. So you can consider this re-branding if you like. I'm still going to post about my favourites over the past month, but I'm going to stop trying to be a 'fashion blog' or a 'beauty blog' because that's not what interests me any more. Frankincense is now a place where I post what I want and what I want only, and for once, I'm going to try really hard to be...me.

Okay that was a really deep post for a blog that 7 people read. Anyway. I'm out.

Popular Posts